3/28/2014

Noah the Movie

I'm not a big movie goer, and I don't know yet whether I will go see the movie.  I've heard enough about Noah from people who have seen it to know that it does not accurately depict the story of Noah as told in the Bible.  I would guess that we Christians have a picture of Noah and his family in our minds from the lessons we learned in childhood, and those may not be accurate either.

That being said, I have mixed thoughts about going to see the movie.  I understand not wanting to participate in supporting a movie that is not Biblically accurate, but I also recognize that the writers and producers are not Christians and they just want to tell a good story.  From what I have heard, the movie is a great action film filled with imaginative ideas of how things might have happened.  I've also heard that Russell Crowe is excellent as Noah.

It also contains dark material (after all, almost everyone and everything dies) which means that it really should be R rated instead of PG-13 according to Michael Medved, a professional movie reviewer. Truthfully, I don't care for action movies or gore and death, so that would probably keep me from seeing it more than anything.

On the other side, the movie at least will get people thinking about the Bible stories.  Perhaps they will pick up the Bible and read it for themselves.  In that case, it might be good to see the movie in order to be able to discuss the differences between the movie and the truth in the Bible.  All in all, I like seeing the Bible moved to the front and center of discussion.  I think as Christians, we need to be be salt and light, and share the truth of God's word with love.

Also, I wonder if we Christians really think about our motives in accepting or rejecting a movie.  The VeggieTales series tells great moral stories, but broad leeway is taken with the truth of what happened in the actual story.  For example, in the story of Jonah, a talking worm is added, and the people of Ninevah are considered evil because they slap each other with fish.  Many of the things that happened in the Jonah movie are not Biblical at all, yet we Christians happily buy VeggieTale movies and encourage others to watch them.  I am guessing that this is because they are made by Christians and they are cute and fun.

Remembering the Biblical admonition to demonstrate love first, I close with I Corinthians 13:1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

Here are links to a wide variety of thoughts and opinions--I'm sure there are many more!

Breitbart review  (excellent negative review about the twisting of scripture)

Thoughts from a Christian pastor who has a son playing Ham in the movie.  (positive)

Ken Ham--Answers in Genesis  (negative--He would be the best source for Biblical accuracy)

Michael Medved  (mixed)

Hugh Hewitt (positive)

Glenn Beck (negative)

Christianity Today (this link shares positive thoughts  but at the bottom of the post, you can go to negative thoughts)

Matt Walsh--excellent review--after reading this, I would definitely not want to see the movie.

Al Mohler--"If we don't tell the story, others will."

Interesting discussion of a Kabbalah theme used in the film

No comments: